Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I mentioned to Gary in passing just over a week ago that my mother wanted him to sort out her garden. When she asked me to ask him the words "snowballs chance in hell" sprung to mind, However to my absolute astonishment he said yes, followed by "this weekend ok?"

Now you may be thinking what a good son in law to mow her lawns, However my Mother's garden is no ordinary garden. Not only is it 100 feet long, overgrown with brambles and 15 feet conifer trees but is also infested with Japanese knotweed. Which in short means you cannot find the garden path, see the shed at the bottom of the garden or even attempt to imagine what just bit your foot should you take one step in.

Seriously this garden makes the Amazon look good, Its so scarey they should make a film about it.

However bravely a team of four of us (Gary, Sister, Mum and Myself) fully equipped with industrial strimmers, gloves, scythes and other implements of destruction set forth last Saturday to endure what Mum's garden could throw at us.

(Just to clarify Dad has renounced all claim to the garden and fails to acknowledge it's exsistence)

I wish I had taken before and after photos to show you what we achieved in one day. Next weekend we have a machine coming to finish the job (or at least finish getting the undergrowth to ground level!!!)

Only problem is the garden doubles as a pet cemetry and we shall be digging up the remains of approximately 20 cats (we like cats ok!) a budgie and a hamster called Lara. I will try and get some pictures of our progress.